[Fwd: Populism, Southern Fried with a Newmanite,

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Sun Nov 21 10:00:53 PST 1999

> Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 06:32:43 -0500 (EST)
> From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com>

> My cousin Micki was a Sullivanian, and everything Katha says is true.

their old HQ is a tall building on the west side of broadway at, like, 101st; immediately to its left is a short building, now some gawd-awful sorta-retro diner, which is a wood-frame structure--it used to be one of the old cuban joints up here, tacita de oro. ANYWAY, just above the roof of the diner, the ex-sull building has some white paint splashed on it--by the former lofty-type tenants of tacita's upper floors. the sull people didn't like it much that these arty kids did that and demanded that they clean it up. after much battling back and forth, the sulls broke through their own lateral wall (brick) and ripped out the lofts' plumbing, electrics, etc. the arty kids ended up moving out as a result, iirc.

cheers, t