[Fwd: Re: Butler on Spivak (was SZ)]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Sun Nov 21 17:32:17 PST 1999

Max B. Sawicky wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >Then I'll specify the nature of the dishonesty. She is lying. The critics
> she
> >is replying to, or the conservative marxists she is attacking, don't exist.
>
> When I heard her delivering that paper at the Rethinking Marxism
> conference in December 1996 I had the same reaction. "Who the hell is
> she talking about?,"
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> I'd like to know too. As far out as I am on race, class
> & gender, I would not classify race or gender as "merely
> cultural." I do not rank them or depict them the
> same as others, but their political and economic
> salience is beyond question. Who would say otherwise?
>
> One explanation is that the notion of someone on the
> left classifying gender as cultural is really a way
> of attacking someone who is believed to put class
> over gender, or someone who says Butler is not much
> worth reading or relevant to politics on the planet
> we call Earth. So the idea is really a rhetorical
> slur. Now it's one thing to exaggerate someone's
> position for polemical effect. It's another to base
> a whole bloomin' analysis on it.
>
> mbs

yes, well I was one of the "left conservatives" attacked at a conference at Santa Cruz a couple of years ago that Judith Butler and her partner Wendy Brown (daughter of Norman O brown) were involved with. The left cons mentioned were me, Barbara Ehrenreich, Barbara Epstein and Alan Sokal -- I think todd gitlin might have been mentioned also. Our crimes were not that we considered race or gender insignificant -- whatever our failings, I don't think that' s a criticism many would make of Barbara Ehrenreich or me!. It was that we had all criticized anti-foundationalist academic feminist "Theory," supposedly believed in "truth with a capital T," thought Alan Sokal's hoax was funny etc.

Interestingly, Norman Mailer described himself as a "left conservative" in the 60s-early seventies. Partly Meaning he was anti-feminist. Naturally I didn't appreciate being put in the same basket with him!