Butler on Spivak (was SZ)

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sun Nov 21 23:45:19 PST 1999

> because there are so many liberals, leftists, marxists who fit the
bill --
> I would cite Rakesh and Angela on this list, anyone who objected or
> quibbled re the rightness of the existence of the BRC .

well, well. if you name names, that doesn't make the accusation true. i did not say the BRC was 'not right' because it 'distracts from class'. i distinctly remember a) arguing that your accusation that rakesh was 'not really black' because he did not think the strategy of black nationalism was the right one to be one of the more obnoxious and self-satisfied pieces of racism i've come across; b) that i objected not to the BRC as such, but any strategy which is premised on identity politics, or indeed nationalism as a way of fighting racism. i also objected to your lecturing me that it was my duty (your words) to be involved in separatist projects, when by your reasoning, no such duty falls on you. you just get to sit there and play support role, or really, rather vicious identity cop against those who don't toe the line you've decided (on my behalf might i add, by your own standards) is the most appropriate one.

if you want to take up that debate again, i'll be happy to oblige.

Angela _________