Nussbaum on Butler w/ a Pollitt kicker

kelley oudies at flash.net
Mon Nov 22 09:43:07 PST 1999

one percent of the population obtains a phd. say about 2% go to grad school in phd prgrams then --a high estimate. fact is, most people in grad school --*especially* in the humanities-- are there because they're from upper mddle class backgrounds. if you look at the numbers by race, of course ther e are very few people of color to begin with and they are disproportionately represented in professional degree programs like education, health, social work, library sciences, nutrition. they often tend to have lived a fairly sheltered life. for ex, among the 1000 or so students i surveyed [undergrads at elite liberal arts colleges in the northeast] less than 10% held job prior to going to college.

i'm having trouble wrapping my head around your support for butler here. what is it about her theory that you find compelling enough to defend her against nussbaum's charges.

btw, those women you refer to --okin, chodorow, rubin-- they *did* examine social structures. are families and childrearing practices and the juridico-legal system not social strucutres? is identity not structural? i think not and, in that case, butler also examines social structure:. identity practices *are* structural. so what do you think belong to the realm of "social structure"?

kelley