Butler on Spivak (was SZ)

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Mon Nov 22 15:15:38 PST 1999

On Monday, November 22, 1999 at 12:37:36 (-0500) Doug Henwood writes:
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>That said, Butler doesn't sound too interested in Marxism, practically or
>>theoretically. Generally speaking, late modernists define their politics
>>_against_ Marxism.
>
>True. She's much too uninterested in Marxism - and issues of class &
>economic power - for my taste. But just because writers are non- or
>anti-Marxist doesn't mean that Marxist and Marxish readers and
>writers should return the favor; you learn what you can where you can.

Doug, in a few words (or more, of course), could you define what "Marxism" entails? If one recognizes "issues of class and power", but does not agree with much of what Marx himself wrote, is one non- or anti-Marxist? I'm particularly thinking of your criticism of Chomsky as being too harsh on dear Karl, but also of my own opinions of him (which are certainly less thoroughly thought out than those of Chomsky).

Bill