[Fwd: Re: Mistress Judith (was Re: Butler on Spivak)]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Tue Nov 23 06:32:38 PST 1999

Roger Odisio wrote:
> Or take the Olympics. Women have seriously taken up all kinds of vigorous sports
> of late; e.g., wrestling. What are the latest sports added to the Olympics to
> allow more female particpation? First synchronized gymnastics (the guys who run
> the show really like to watch those pre-pubescent girls twirling ribbons), and now
> ballroom dancing.
>
> RO

I take your point, roger, but I would much rather watch ballroom dancing than wrestling, male or female. In your way of setting up the issue of women, bodies and athleticism there seems to be no way to say that competitive sports are stupid for BOTH sexes, and the ones that most closely mimic real violence are the stupidest.

The only Olympic events I watch are ice skating and women's gymnastics. Who wants to watch a lot of people grunting and groaning? That's what pornography is for!

Katha