[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re:

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Tue Nov 23 14:07:06 PST 1999

[i nominate this subject line for best of the year.]

> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:59:32 -0500
> From: Katha Pollitt <kpollitt at thenation.com>

> Of course it doesn't bother you, Brett. you're a man! The thing is, it
> DOESN'T go vice versa -- young women and older men like each other fine,
> but younger men don't go for older women, and after a certain age, most
> men don't even want to date women their own age. It has to do with the
> whole structure of sex and gender, much deeper than money and class.
> Although that's certainly part of it: May-December was a more popular
> marriage form in last century, I believe ("her beauty was sold/for an
> old man's gold" as the song put it) and in macho Latin America older men
> and much younger women is a very prevalent combo.
> I can imagine circumstances under which young women would find older
> men unappealing . But can you imagine circumstances under which 25 year
> old men would want to marry fifty year old women?

sorry, but it's not hard to imagine at all.

and actually, your remarks sort of put a bee up my butt, because they're devoted *entirely* to what men want. is this the kind of criticism that ushers from taking into account 'the whole structure of sex and gender'?

cheers, t