[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Mistress Judith (was Re: Butler on S]

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Tue Nov 23 17:43:53 PST 1999

>Maybe these things will change someday, and extraordinary people can
>sometimes make their own exceptions. But that's the way things are now.
>and the reason it matters is that lots of older women end up alone who
>would like not to be.
>
>Katha

another reason it matters is that some women are reluctant to divorce which can be tragic. I'm reminded of Ehrenreich's _Hearts of Men_ and her discussion of how men as a group increasingly ran/run from commitment and responsibility. There's that whole thing about men "trading in" for a "newer model."

Katha mentions Tolstoy; what about Woody Allen? (and I loved his film Sleeper!) And did anyone see that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine is dating a guy who's going to become a doctor and once he does, he dumps her? He admits he was planning to all along and the irony is Elaine only dated him b/c he was going to become doctor. So, one's tempted to feel these May/December couples (what's the etymology on that? never heard it before) deserve one another in a sense, but if one is capable of sociological imagination - as Yoshie put it - one can see the wider reasons behind it and the ramifications.

And just so the guys don't think I'm totally kissing up with my talk about how men lack a sense of commitment and responsibility, here's a movie review from The Evening Standard. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Peter "feminist guy" K.

> 8/24/99
> The Lure of the older woman
>
> The Thomas Crown Affair
> (15) Pierce Brosnan, Rene Russo, Denis Leary, Faye Dunaway, Ben Gazzara.
> Dir: John McTiernan. US. 111 mins.
>
> by Christopher Hitchens
>
> I once met a man who had interviewed Marlene Dietrich in her seventies.
Full
> of daring and spite, she had captivated him throughout the meal he gave
her
> and the ride he gave her home. Feeling it was only polite, he had proposed
> final nightcap and been fixed with such a look. "So sweet of you,
dahlink,"
> she breathed. "But I 'ave ze curse." Golly.
>
> The ageing process of beautiful women is a double misfortune: it is
> melancholy in itself and it provides a reminder of one's own decline. What
> shock I got, watching Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, to see Julie Christie
> playing the wrinkled and matronly Gertrude to such effect that one almost
> wondered what Claudius saw in her. Any chap of my age, raised on Darling
and
> Dr Zhivago, will know what I mean, because Ms Christie just kept on
coming,
> through films like The Go-Between, until we had mutated from thwarted
> adolescents into frustrated grown-ups. (What a contrast to, say, Brigitte
> Bardot, who collapsed like a pricked balloon or a mummified body exposed
> the air.)
>
> This sad version of time-keeping helps explain the current mass
exhalation,
> by middle-aged male (and some female) movie critics, over the remake of
The
> Thomas Crown Affair. Not only does the movie itself take us back three
> decades, but Ms Rene Russo makes many balding and paunchy men feel like
> spring chickens. How wrong Benjamin Franklin was, in his recommendation of
> older women in Poor Richard's Almanac. He instructed his readers to
> concentrate on the mature babes because they (the mature babes) would be
so
> much more grateful. A man who succeeded in getting Rene Russo's attention
> would surely find that gratitude was a oneway street in the opposite
> direction.
>
> It's not as if Hollywood hasn't stumbled on this essential truth before.
> What was The Graduate if not a completely memorable initiation, by Anne
> Bancroft of Dustin Hoffman, into the eternal mystery of what the hell it's
> all about? Who really remembers young Benjamin's younger squeeze from that
> movie? It's just that we've all been so saturated with kiddie-porn
starlets
> and supermodel propaganda that when Ms Russo (45) comes along, or
Catherine