ignore this, it's about women and sexism and worth reading

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 23 18:23:57 PST 1999

kelley wrote:

>as i indicated elsewhere, these images have real effects [epidemics of
>bulemia and anorexia among women which are now hitting men, first mostly
>among young gay men, but now also among het men]

She's too modest to self-promote, so I'll point to it myself: listmember Liza Featherstone had a piece in the Columbia Journalism Review on how men's mags are increasingly resembling women's mags: <http://www.cjr.org/year/98/3/boys.asp>.

> in turn there has been
>some discussion of 'addictions' to exercise [which is i guess what you
>could say i had as a kid]. they also simply have the real effect of
>reinforcing the power men already find they possess simply by virtue of
>having testicles between their legs. i have, myself, tried wearing a pair
>of stuffed trophy testicles around my neck in order to insure equitable
>pay, but it never worked!

Jesus, did you even get an interview in a getup like that?

Doug