[Fwd: Re: Butler on Spivak (was SZ)]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Wed Nov 24 09:19:18 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Brad De Long wrote:
>
> >>"Hail the Red Army!"
> >

> >If the alternative is the Taliban, it sounds pretty sane to me...
>
> This is one of the more extraordinary agreements across the political
> spectrum I've seen in weeks, maybe months.
>
> Doug

Come on, guys! The russian invasion --and the US support for muslim-fundamentalist "Afghan Freedom fighters" CREATED the Taliban. Just the way US bombing etc helped bring the Khmer Rouge into being.

You write about Afghanistan the was Alex C did in his notorious VVoice column -- Afghans a bunch of sheepstealing savages who needed to be civilized by the Soviets. That is not what happened, though. The russians did some good things, sure -- like girls' education in the big cities. but they also conducted a war against large portions of the civilian population, complete with anti-personnel bombs and all the stuff listers get rightly upset about when they're deployed by NATO. Generally people don't like having their countries be invaded, even by forces some on this list might describe as "objectively progressive."

Katha