comments on recent threads

gcf at panix.com gcf at panix.com
Wed Nov 24 12:39:53 PST 1999

gcf at panix.com wrote:
> > But if you're curious, anarchist oatmeal cookies will be showing up at
> > the Reclaim The Streets exercise in NYC this Friday unless I'm busted
> > on the way to it. For a recipe see http://www.etaoin.com/A (that's an
> > upper-case A, standing for you-know-what).

Michael Pollak:
> Gordon, don't you think it's a little ironic that your Anarchist Oatmeal
> Cookie recipe signs off with a Laura Anderson song that is essentially
> John Rawls set to music?
>
> But I'm sure people love eating them just the same.

The fact is, I don't know Rawls very well. A few paragraphs cited here and there on the Net or in magazine articles have created a fairly strong immune reaction in me. I related Ms. Anderson's lines more to the religious anarchists of the 17th century (Diggers, etc.) who believed that we are either born free or become free through grace. In other words, freedom is intrinsic but obscured. That sort of thing.

Since I'll be introducing anarchist oatmeal cookies into a street action, I'm going to remove the quote from the accompanying leaflets until I get permission to use it. After all, Laurie Anderson may not approve of my political ideas and not care to have her name inscribed on their manifestations.

Gordon