Butler on Spivak (was SZ)

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Nov 24 14:04:01 PST 1999

> kelley wrote:
> >oh and the sparticans or whatever....what kind of marxists were/are they.
> >i know they're connected to the wanker that doesn't like doug --some
> >exchange on doug's website re his book. but what's the scoop with
> >sparticans in terms of marxist history.
>
> Sparticists. Particularly wacked-out breed of Trot, broke off from
> the SWP sometime in the 1960s I think.
> Doug

For what it's worth, Spartacist League came out of Revolutionary Tendency, one of two factions (other was Tim Wohlforth's group that became Workers League) of Minority Tendency in SWP? MT held that SWP was too optimistic about Cuban Revolution, party expelled RT in early 1960s on grounds that it was planning to divide SWP...

Earlier Spartacus League was comprised of those on revolutionary end of WW1-era German Marxist spectrum. SL published Rosa Luxemburg's writings on collapse of 2nd Int'l and her opposition to WW1. Upon release from prison, RL functioned as one of group's leaders. SPD used unsuccessful 1919 armed uprising as pretext to crush radical left and murder Luxemburg and her Spartacus comrade Karl Liebnecht...

On a lighter note, next time listers find themselves playing left-wing factoid trivia: Spartacus was one of Marx's two heroes, the other was German astronomer/mathematician (and inventor, I think, of eyeglasses to correct both near-sightedness and far-sightedness) Johannes Kepler...

above guaranteed to win friends and influence lovers, or is that win lovers and influence friends, well anyway, maybe it'll get that date seemingly on lbo-ers minds of late... Michael Hoover