[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: ignore this, it's about women and sexism ...]]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Thu Nov 25 14:34:33 PST 1999

kelley wrote:

> no. but that doesn't mean that gender isn't performed in the doctor's
> office and every where else for that matter. recognizing that doesn't
> mean that i or anyone else is saying that we can or should ignore sex based
> biological differences that *make* a difference in terms of health care.
> but that's *all* they should make a difference about.

Well, you write that you are obsessed with having another child in the next five years. Don't know exactly how old you are, but doesn't the deadline -- and the obsession -- relate to your female biological clock? If you were a man, you could be a bit more relaxed. Especially since as a single person, you as a man could find a young fertile woman and have that second child after you got tenure!

Don't you think it matters that girls sexually mature earlier than boys (or, if you prefer, boys mature later than girls?) That a girl can be impregnated at eleven or twelve? By any old creep who rapes her? These are not mere "health care" matters. They are biological matters that structure our political concerns.

katha