[Fwd: Re: ignore this, it's about women and sexism ...]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 25 19:52:16 PST 1999

Rob Schaap wrote:

> >the brain research that
> >shuggests that the brain changes under social conditions ?
>
>Look, I didn't mention I saw a dirty great Tiger Snake yesterday, either.
>But I sure as hell wasn't ignoring it.

Yeah you were kind of by turning to selfish genes, not the tiger but what Kelley said in the quoted snippet. Biology is often invoked to put an end to debate or analysis. Even such raw biological facts as childbirth and lactation take on very different meanings depending on social arrangements like household structure, nature of and availability of medical care, labor market and welfare state features, conventions and representations around childbirth, etc.

Doug