Overquota but last bleat on the subject from this end

kelley oudies at flash.net
Fri Nov 26 02:03:02 PST 1999

rob bares his instincts:

>I often knowingly behave against what feel like instinctual tendencies (it
>is a good idea when you want to lash back at a huge aggressive drunk,

that is not instinctual. you have learned to think of it that way, though.

as i said before the research in this arena is absolutely spotty at best. i

or
>caress a passing stranger,

that is not instinctual. you have learned to think of it that way, though.

for one thing you have to live in a world in which there are strangers. for most of human history we did not live in those worlds. we knew everyone.

>or eat a commodity for which you haven't paid,

that is certainly not instinctual. in the very first place you have to have property to imagine stealing.

>Some soldiers have killed pleading civilians against their own instincts,

there is nothing instinctual about not killing another human being, whether friend or foe, child or parent.

>and some have braved machine-gun fire to save an injured civilian, again
>quite possibly against their instincts.

there is nothing instinctual about that since the entire edifice of the military is about shreddig to pieces a young man's identity and all that he's learned in order to submit himself to the authority of the group and relaearn who he is and how he relates to others. that is what boot came is for. that is why, in the marines here in the states, you were uniforms, do everything together, and you are not allowed to say i. you say, "yes sir private shaap has a fly in his ear, sire. no sir i don't think it's funny"

and loose any individuality you have. the military folks say they do this to toss the individual instinct for self preservation, actually.

If they do the former, they're in
>an even more fucked social setting than is required for the latter
>scenario. So there ya go, Kel; I've respect for structure after all.

by calling it instinctual? i'm completely lost. i'm sincerely confused here?