[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: ignore this, it's about women and sexism ...]]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 26 09:53:35 PST 1999

Katha Pollitt wrote:

>But she never shows that physical sex
>is discursive in the first place.

By the way, I think it's interesting that this thread got started in part because of Rob's invocation of the selfish gene to explain social behavior. I'm guessing that you (Katha) wouldn't support invocations of biological determinism to justify the oppression of women, or similar invocations used to justify competitive individualism (aka capitalism). In practice, then, you have a fairly discursive understanding of the biological, but when it gets generalized to the level of theory, you sound like Dr Johnson refuting Berkeley by kicking a rock.

Doug