Fwd: deindustrialization.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 26 10:49:13 PST 1999

[Michael Perelman is away from his regular email account, but asked me to forward this.]

X-From_: MPerelman at exchange.csuchico.edu Fri Nov 26 13:17:50 1999 From: "Perelman, Michael" <MPERELMAN at csuchico.edu> To: "'dhenwood at panix.com'" <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: deindustrialization. Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 10:17:44 -0800 MIME-Version: 1.0 Sender: MPerelman at exchange.csuchico.edu

Doug, I cannot get to my regular account until Monday. I am looking at a few of the archives. You might post this to the list.

Nathan asked: Are there are measures out there that calculate how many US labor-hours versus foreign labor-hours go into US consumption?

Feenstra, Robert C. 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy." Journal of Economic Perspectives, 12: 4 (Fall): pp. 31-50. 33: He calculates the ratio of trade to domestic value-added of "merchandise" (tangible goods). This ratio fell from 14.3 in 1889 to 9.6 percent in 1960 (reflecting the major de-globalization of the interwar years and only partial recovery after that) but then soared to 35.8 percent in 1990.

------ Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, Ca. 95929 michael at ecst.csuchico.edu or mperelman at csuchico.edu