Only one sex?

kelley oudies at flash.net
Fri Nov 26 13:54:21 PST 1999

>What nonsense.

did you even bother to read what carrol wrote. he wrote that for millenia people *thought* that there was only one sex and that women were simply a deformed version of the male. they looked at different genitalia and said that the uterus was an inside out penis and scrotum, that perhaps it just hadn't descended. i believe gray's anatomy says pretty much that there is only one sex. and gray's anatomy was what physicians were operating with as they booted midwives out of the territory arguing that they had greater professional knowledge than the quack midwives. ha ha ha. and the important point is, just like i can't see my typos despite their objective existence, their thoughts shaped how they behaved. and part of what happened was that their class structure helped to create this way of thinking and that their class relations were reinforced by this pattern of thinking about sexual difference. they saw the differnece. they knew that it required male and female and they had words for them reflecting that understanding. however, they didn't see them as two different sexes but as having two different genders. they just didn't think that it took two sexes --it required one whole sex which had been split up into different parts but nonetheless constituted a whole entity on their view. this is not unrelated to how they thought about other social relations and the cosmos in general. and i would say it is rooted in the mode of production in so far as production took place in the home and it seems pretty clear that there is a complementarity between men and women there and the way they organized the division of labor. this is even *more* evident when the division of labor is not so multiplicitous: that is, it is *really* clear just how much you depend on for your very survival the work and skills of the other.

and eminently material basis and dialectical explanation if you ask me. i don't even know for sure what lacquer's argument is entirely but i'm piecing together what i've reaad from C and Y and the book review and what i know from solid feminist historical and anthro research. though from that review, it looks like lacquer didn't do enough feminist reading on this topic.

furthermore, i would point out to you that a lot of marxists think that there are only two classes that are in competition despite the objective reality of what looks like at least three if not more classes in competition. compeitition between manual and professional, between service labor and manual labor, between owners and employees. and on and on.

his claim, as you know, is based entirely on theory because the 18th brumaire is an exploration of the real effects of class divisiveness along lines that don't separate out into bourg v. prole.

There is a simple way to show the existence of more than one sex.