David Korn: "Making Kosovo Safe for Gangsters"

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Nov 26 19:26:02 PST 1999

[New York Press, Nov. 24-30, last item in column]

Making Kosovo Safe for Gangsters

As President Clinton was preparing for his trip to Kosovo last week, I

came across an e-mail from an acquaintance who works in the Pentagon

and who was recently in Kosovo. His note was a scathing counter to the

official happy-talk appraisals of life in Kosovo. For example, when

Gen. Michael Jackson, NATO's top commander in Kosovo, recently vacated

that post, he declared, "We have seen a return to normality" in

Kosovo. He also hailed the "successful demilitarization" of the Kosovo

Liberation Army and "the establishment of law and order." My Pentagon

pal's dispatch neatly sums up the troubles there-and illustrates the

hollowness of the Clinton promises that accompanied the bombing of

that province. With his permission-and in accordance with his wish to

remain unidentified and employed-here are his observations:

"Things seem much gloomier today than when I was there in the summer.

I can only speak for myself (and the dozens or so various people who

told me similar things), rather than on behalf of the U.S. government,

but it is clear the UCK (KLA to non-Albanophones) is totally out of

control, and unlikely to live up to its commitments on

demilitarization. Ethnic Serbs and Roma continue to be attacked and

leave the province. Right after I left the city of Pec (Peja in

Albanian) in the western part of Kosovo, where violence was at its

heaviest in the spring, a group of Serbs leaving the province, only

ten miles from crossing into Montenegro, was attacked by a mob and

barely got out alive (though their cars were all burned). Some of our

(US) guys told me that in several villages where the ethnic Albanian

citizens had elected their own mayors and councils, the UCK came in

and told them who their new mayors would be. It's clear that

disenchantment with the UCK is not limited to Serbs. It also appears

that the judicial system is a sham, since all judges not associated

with the UCK have been shot at or have quit their jobs or have been

intimidated into releasing suspects. It's possible the UN Mission will

turn that around, but I'm not optimistic. In essence, the

international community went into Los Angeles, drove out a corrupt and

brutal LAPD, and left the Bloods and Crips as the de facto government.

This is hardly an original revelation on my part, but the vision of a

multi-ethnic Kosovo is giving way to reverse ethnic cleansing. I agree

that we needed to dp something about the mayhem which Milosevic and

Company authored. Unfortunately, it seems that we drove the Yugoslav

military and police out with the promise that we (the entire

international community) could provide a safe and stable environment

for all Kosovo's citizens. And we just could not deliver."