in defense of opportunism/hating the white working class

Apsken at aol.com Apsken at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 09:45:01 PST 1999

> Steve Perry wrote:
>
> >in other words, i think the distrust of
> >opportunism round here is synonymous with a
> >distrust and distaste for the white working
> >class at large--those (mostly urban) few who
> >are still members of organized labor perhaps excepted. where exactly is
the
> >left to go,
> >what is it to do, as long as this prejudice
> >obtains?

I took considerable pains last week, in my two-part post on Guns, Politics, and American Culture, to show the actual way that left organizers approach the United States working class, including its white sectors, and even right-wing insurgents. I contrasted those experiences to the Cockburn-St.Clair infatuation with right-wing gun culture, and showed that much of their claim is false. Not one person has rebutted my post in any respect, yet Steve Perry puts forth this caricature again, as if it had not been answered. Perry is indeed the opportunist, as he admits, but that has nothing to do with supporting genuine working-class insurgents, white or otherwise.

Ken Lawrence