Ruth Hubbard on Power & the Meaning of Differences

kelley oudies at flash.net
Sat Nov 27 13:44:24 PST 1999

>That's not the point. You are missing the point. Sexual dimorphism is not a
>paradigm. It was a major transition in the way reproduction is carried out.
>It requires explanation.

the question of how it evolved only matters because researchers think it matters to help answer questons about why we organize social life the way we do now. in that sense, right off the bat it assumes that we should explain things like gender inequality in terms of sexual dimorphism. in turn, they want to know about that because they want to know how much biology plays a role in how we procreate, reproduce, and socialize the young, etc and so on. in trun, they want to know this so that they can either critique existing social relations [aas you might] or support some of them [as rob wants to]. my point would be: so the hell what. just as you don't want people to bother to explain intellect genetically because of the racist assumptions and research that results, i don't think we should bother with this nonsense because it doesn't matter for what we do now and how we do it.

now i'll shut up permanently now. that's my last word

later kelley