Anarchy In The U.K.

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Sat Nov 27 23:57:46 PST 1999

G'day Patrick,

> Hey all, I'm working on a project which entails deciphering some
>Sex Pistols lyrics, on several levels. So, what's Lydon referring to
>when he asks,

"Is this the MPLA?

Angola's 'ruling' left-wing party - always at war with Savimbi's right-wing UNITA (and also now kicking some butt up in Democratic Congo, on Kabila's side, against some Rwandans, funnily enough - miss a week's papers, and the world is strange for evermore).

Is this the UDA?"

Ulster Defence Association, I think. Militant Unionist types.

So the 'And I thought it was the UK' bit is probably making the point that even this first-world mother-of-democracies has a surprising amount of immanent tension and a lot of aggro in the streets ...

Cheers, Rob