Keeping My End Up / Re: Sexism Redux

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Nov 28 13:22:20 PST 1999

. . . Max, no one's asking you to be a scholar of feminism, but it seems to me that some familiarity with the basic ideas and debates are part of being politically literate. It's not like they're secret - the literature, specialized and popular, is huge, and they've even seeped into everyday conversation. Why do you make it sound like such an arcane branch of knowledge? Doug

It seems arcane from what I read here. The hugeness is fine for those with a voracious appetite, but it can be daunting to others.

I don't have the same read on the 'seepage' of the literature into popular thought. I see stuff about responsibility for housework, relationships, 'gay' issues, but I see no clue as to their connection to feminist theory. I see plenty on the economic dimension in terms of discrimination, but that sort of material seems to speak for itself.

mbs