post-capitalist society emerging?

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Nov 28 13:31:39 PST 1999

At 15:38 26/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>[Anyone know anything about Adler?]
>
>"Market, Hierarchy, and Trust: The Knowledge Economy and the
> Future of Capitalism"
>
> BY: PAUL S. ADLER
> Marshall School of Business, University of Southern
> California
>
>Document: Available from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection:
> http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=186930
>
> Contact: PAUL S. ADLER
> Email: Mailto:padler at usc.edu
> Postal: Marshall School of Business, University of Southern
> California
> Los Angeles, CA 90089-1421 USA
> Phone: (213)740-0728
> Fax: (213)740-3582
>
>ABSTRACT:
> Recent conceptualizations of trends in the structure of U.S.
> industry have focused on the relative importance of markets,
> hierarchies, and hybrid intermediate forms. This paper seeks to
> advance the discussion by distinguishing three ideal-typical
> forms of organization and their corresponding key coordination
> mechanism: market/price, hierarchy/authority, and
> community/trust. Different institutions combine the three
> forms/mechanisms in different proportions. Economic and
> organizational theory have shown that compared to trust, price
> and authority are relatively ineffective mechanisms for dealing
> with assets that are based on knowledge. As knowledge becomes
> increasingly important in our economy, we should therefore
> expect high-trust institutional forms to proliferate.
>
> A review of trends in employment relations, interdivisional
> relations, and inter-firm relations finds evidence suggesting
> that the effect of growing knowledge-intensity may indeed be
> such a trend towards greater reliance on trust. There is also
> reason to believe that the form of trust most effective in this
> context is of a distinctively modern kind - "reflective trust" -
> as opposed to a traditionalistic, blind trust. Such a trend to
> reflective trust appears to threaten the privileges of currently
> dominant social actors, and these actors' resistance, in
> combination with the complex interdependencies between price,
> authority, and trust mechanisms, imparts a halting character to
> the trend. But the momentum of this trend nevertheless appears
> to be self-reinforcing, which suggests that it may ultimately
> come to challenge the foundations of our capitalist form of
> society while simultaneously creating the foundations of a new,
> post-capitalist form.

This seems consciously complementary to the arguments put forward in "Knowledge Capitalism"

I attach my post to PEN-L last month.

They are not only talking about life style changes but some change to the nature of private ownership of the means of production, owing to the greater importance of knowledge capital (highly educated living capital, in the managerial and technocratic departments).

It appears to be suggested that relative ownership of the means of production is becoming more productive of surplus value than absolute ownership, because the ability to network and cooperate with other holders of crucial information, may be more important than the absolute ownership of your patent. Besides your top employees might get head-hunted next week in a more mobile labour market.