ehrenreich on biology

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Mon Nov 29 12:41:39 PST 1999

Re Barbara E -- Kelley, Barbara Ehrenreich wrote a piece for the nation with the anthropologist Janet mackintosh maybe three years ago in which she compared 'extreme" social constructionists to Creationists--they don't want to admit that human beings are animals. I've talked with her about these issues a lot, and believe me, I'm more of a social constructionist than she is! (for instance, in her Nation article, Barbara suggested that maybe there is a biological basis to racism -- fear of difference etc. Lots of angry letters came in about that! And remember -- her book blood Rites posits that there is a biological basis for war). About sex/gender, She takes the view of Natalie Angier in her new book Woman-- which is that there's an interplay between biology and culture, and that female biology has been presented up until now through a sexist lens that ignores its strengths and exaggerates its differences from men--when those differences are perceived to disfavor women. In the Time article, Barbara does not say that sex differences don't exist, are trivial, are unworthy of study, or would play NO role in a just society. She does not say that sexual dimorphism is a cultural construct.She says our society has a faulty ,sexist understanding of it, and uses humanity's similarity to other animals to skewer sexist biology -- as when she points out that in predatory species BOTH sexes hunt, so the Man the Hunter idea is obviously wrong.

Maybe Doug can put Barbara's Nation piece up?

Katha