clear writing

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Mon Nov 29 14:55:39 PST 1999

I erased Doug's response to my post on the Lingua Franca article, hence the new subject line. I think we should try to write as clearly as we can. I realize that with new ideas this is often hard to do, but we should try. On the other hand, perhaps we should try to raise up the ability of the "masses" to understand complex writing. Often seemingly impenetrable prose has much to offer if we wade through it enough times. Then we can try to rephrase it, more clearly, once we grasp it. (at the risk of the original writer claiming that we are misinterpreting, etc.!) Keynes's General Theory isn't always crystal clear. Hansen's guide is clearer, so between the two I was able to get a good grasp of what Keynes was saying when I was a student.

Many kinds of writing can be pleasing. I wore the covers off of Capital I and loved it despite its density in many parts. I even used to read it high on dope! That's a trip. I love James Farrell's novels, but I get a charge out of Nabokov too. (Though I am sure my dull brain doesn't get a lot of the latter.)

michael yates