seattle

Christine Peterson quintanus at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:16:47 PST 1999

unfortunately, I had to leave Seattle yesterday. the people at the metal detector of the airport confiscated my short very thin little keychain thing that I use to clip my keys to my beltloop when I ride my bicycle. I don't know if they saw my scary WTO button.

I think the outside NPR/nytimes coverage has been awful, now that I'm back. It's like 'if a tree falls in a forest'. NPR was still saying that only 20,000 protesters are there total, and they end up making it sound so marginal and like usual. I'll describe the cool french guy at McDonald's later if I feel like it.

My twin sister, who is a much better news source than NPR so far, said that small groups of people are running around doing stuff like blocking key intersections (there definitely enough people for this to be done without risking arrest for individuals), rolling garbage cans around, standing on buses, blocking the paramount hotel (the fbi blocked a Calvin Johnson/unwound show there as a security risk??). She said some confused delegates from Africa were going up and talking to people making the human chain because they didn't realize what was going on and what their statement was, but that not that many people are doing that. I have no idea how effective they are in total in actually blocking meetings. the convention center has to have an underground entrance.