[Fwd: Re: ignore this, it's about women and sexism ...]]]]

Tue Nov 30 15:27:06 PST 1999

Kelley wrote:
>instead, i'm going to assume
>that you will agree that political practice and activism was *necessarily*
>a part of coming to a politicized consciousness about science--engendered
>by a critique of science and a willingness to keep science in the service
>of coming to know things for *all of us* [(c) charles brown].

With regard to human sciences (biology, psychology, sociology, etc.), the above is especially true. Homosexuality would be still a mental illness so classified in DSM-III but for the gay & lesbian rights movement and its influence. Scientists do not live in separation from the rest of society. Knowledge production is part of social relations.

Charles: Yes, this is part of the Marxist concept of the unity of theory and practice. My main objection to the postmodernist expressions of this principle is that they seem to think that they discovered it , failing to recognize that it is profoundly present already in Marxism; and they even disgard and attack Marxism, and sometimes substitute a weaker critique of bourgeios science than Marxism already has; and sometimes fall back into Kantian false versions of this ( unknowable thing-in-itself). To those expressions of postmodernism, I'm like don't even try it.

CB