seattle

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Nov 30 20:18:19 PST 1999

. . . At 5:15 p.m. (PST), the Seattle Police Department ("SPD") released a huge barrage of tear gas into a crowd of nonviolent protesters. The crowd had taken over an intersection in the heart of the city which resulted in a stalemate throughout most of the day.

Teargas was dispersed intermittently during the day as the SPD stood in front of their armored vehicle. The crowd took no actions against the SPD. . . .

This is how it begins.

My first year in college I was in a big history lecture course. It was 1967. Maybe 200 freshmen. Two guys had long hair. The ancient but feisty prof openly made fun of them, calling them women etc. One of them was a sort of beach boy type and people left him alone. The other was not. We all called him "The Flit."

Two years later, *everybody* was The Flit.

The chaotic diversity of this movement is perfect for the mass production of radicals. There are a hundred ways into this struggle. The question will be whether it frays at the other end as well.

mbs