O Brave New World

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Fri Oct 1 09:35:08 PDT 1999

Civilization is probably the best computer game in existence (yes, I admit my vice on occasion). While it does have a large combat and conquering aspect, it also has a very sophisticated city-building, resource management and scientific development aspect as well. It takes full advantage of a computer's ability to do massive data record-keeping, while leaving the player with an enjoyable strategy game that taxes both your intelligence and creativity.

One interesting aspect of the game is that you can periodically change government systems, from depotism and kingship early in the game, up to feudalism, then choices of democracy, communism or fundamentalism later in the game. Each has its advantages and disadvantages - and democracy encourages far more peace-loving behavior than warranted under reality - but it is not a complete propaganda game of "advancing" to western-style democracy.

And it does allow any culture an equal chance to win, so in that way it is pleasantly multicultural -- city names come with each culture, so it is quite fun seeing the ancient names from various civiliations appear as you move the game forward.

So even for non-computer geeks, I fully recommend Civilization (although I give warning that while it is relatively easy to get up and playing, there are a reasonable number of rules to learn to gain full competency.)

--Nathan