Meszaros, progress

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 1 17:40:41 PDT 1999

Brad De Long wrote:

> Think of it this way: why has evolution designed us to get wisdom
> teeth that won't fit in our mouths (if all the other teeth are still
> there) at 18? Wisdom teeth are big suckers; you have to figure that
> modal human experience during the deep time in which mouth evolution
> takes place had us losing *8* adult teeth by the time we were 20...

Is this a smart non-biologist "reasoning" from what he knows in general -- or do you have some basis for this in the arguments of professional physical anthropologists? I used to stick my neck out like this re biology in undergrad lit courses -- but there ought to be someone who *knows* on this list.

Carrol