Chechnya: response to Russian invasion?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 2 05:59:02 PDT 1999

Angela:
>the US etc support Yeltsin and Putin's neo-tsarist defense of the realm,
>which is why many many people will die without anyone here knowing anything
>about it at all, and why there will be little if any accurate information
>about the conflict, its history, the character of the militants' politics
>and aspirations and why separatism is regarded as a appropriate response.
>Putin said he would wipe out the bandits, "If we find them sitting on the
>toilet, we will wipe them out there as well."

If the USA, etc. supported the separatists, accurate descriptions of the character of their politics, history, etc. wouldn't come from the media either. They then will be called 'freedom fighters,' and a good number of leftists will be calling for an 'intervention' by NATO, the UN, etc., as they have in the case of Yugoslavia, etc. (then again, even enthusiasts for 'humanitarian interventions' might get spooked by Russian nukes, so I guess all bets are off).

>dreaming that this is the soviet union seems to be little more than an
>excuse to flex the western civilisation muscle.

It seems Wojtek's counsel is the opposite of flexing 'the western civilisation muscle':
>At 10:49 PM 10/1/99 +0300, elena wrote:
>>With all due respect, >wojtek, what, practically!, do you propose???
>
>sit and wait - which is precislely what we'll be doing no matter what happens.
>
>cheers,
>wojtek

Yoshie