'Psychological' -- from Moll Flanders to Clarissa

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 2 15:32:40 PDT 1999

"Self-Knowledge" (the "Know Thyself" inscribed on Apollo's temple at Delphi) meant "Know your place," (as did "Nothing too much"). Both were political/ethical premises of a landed aristocracy. Plato sees the Athenian "mob" (i.e., essentially the peasantry) as presuming beyond themselves, as not "knowing themselves" -- i.e. their *place* in the great scheme of things.

The *Republic* is a simply beautiful book with immense suggestiveness, but as *one* (crucial) perspective on it one can see it as "nothing but" the ideology of a rich landed aristocracy projected on to the state and the universe. (I think that "reductive" interpretations of the very greatest works are not wrong, they are just only *part* of what is to be said, but an important part in many cases. *Paradise Lost* is "nothing but" the dramatization of the need of the abstract isolated individual to enter into social relations. It is an awful lot more, but the nothing but makes all the complexities possible.)

Sophocles' works must somehow be linked to the "invention" of the peasant-citizen having abstract relationship to the state rather than having only a set of direct relationships determined by "place." But I haven't encountered a really satisfactory account of that linkage. (George Thompson's account is vitiated by his assumption of something very much like capitalism in ancient Athens -- an assumption both De Croix and Wood have refuted.)

Carrol