stinking functionalists

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Oct 3 15:35:52 PDT 1999

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, michael perelman wrote:

> I moved to a house in Berkeley, where Ellen Morgan was the previous
> inhabitant. She never left a forwarding address, so I got the first
> copy of the book that you discussed.

No kidding, she left her own book behind? (BTW, it's Elaine Morgan). I don't know her story. I wish I did. I only know her from the book, which I thought was just as provocative and well-written as its contemporary, _The Female Eunuch_, but which for some reason has dropped into oblivion, even though it bears the signs of once having been popular. (Actually, I guess that's no mystery. Most popular books vanish. The feminist books from that era that are still remembered are all by women who cut prominent public figures.) If anyone else knows her story, I'd be eager to hear it. Did you pick up any information about her stay at Berkeley?

Michael