East Timor vs Somalia vs SA

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 4 09:05:15 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>At 07:09 03/10/99 +0200, Patrick Bond wrote:
> >On 2 Oct 99, at 20:37, Chris Burford wrote:
> >> How could any post apartheid regime have bucked the
> >> power of the international bond traders? Do your think that the
>progressive
> >> economic policy promoted by some left wing economists as an option before
> >> the election, could ever have worked against the power of international
> >> finance capital? I think not...
> >
> >Too easy Chris. Explain away Mahathir's success bucking the City
> >and Wall St, then?
>
>It is certainly an interesting question to explain. There is no need to
>explain it away.
>
>Mahathir had a tradition of national capital behind him and of teaching the
>British an economic lesson.

Also, didn't the multinationals doing business in Malaysia - and there are lots of them - quietly approve Mahathir's capital controls?

And anyone who takes his capital controls as a model, recall that his government also mounted Ops Nyah, "Operation Get Out," which initially aimed to boot half of the country's 1.8 million migrant workers. I don't think it was ever fully carried out, but I find leftish fondness for Mahathir kind of disturbing.

Doug