unions & enviros join hands

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Mon Oct 4 08:56:06 PDT 1999

This is nothing unusual, its been shaping up for quite awhile. I'd say its a reflection of rank&file opinion among Steelworkers all over the country; the WSJ is just catching on to it that's all.

One thing you should remember is that the Sierra Club and other conservation and environmental organizations have been advertising in hunting and fishing magazines forever. So the groundwork for this was done a long time ago.

The Steelworkers have been trying to clean up the steel industry since the late 1940's. I mean after all who should be more concerned about the environment that the people who have to work in it! It also makes good economic sense to use or find a use for the captured byproducts of a process. As the plumbers say, it maybe shit to you, but, its bread and butter to me. So, you will find that Steelworkers are willing to push pollution control to the limilt of existing technology.

I'm looking forward to meeting Dave Foster sometime, if we have met I don't recall it.

Tom Lehman