Lacan, Gender / Zizek, Strategy (was Re: Taste Buds &Biology)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 4 15:21:13 PDT 1999

kelley wrote:

>A claim like this presupposes a unitary, stable "self" or "ego" and a freaking

>vulgar notion of 'objectivity". I love you madly but where on earth do you
>get this stuff from. Is this from zizek? Zizek, trained in sociology zizek,
>says this?

Doesn't psychoanalysis (or any psychology that tries to be independent of politics and neurology) presuppose such a self or ego? Such a psychology can pile up empirical data and/or rules-of-thumb, but it can't actually *explain* anything, as opposed to naming or describing things *to be explained*.

Carrol