[Fwd: Fight the Matrix] (fwd)

David Jennings [MSAI] djenning at ai.uga.edu
Tue Oct 5 07:49:16 PDT 1999

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Beth Goldstein wrote:

>I'm not sure if this is a hoax or not -- anybody have any info on it?

<snip>

>>>STAND UP FOR THE FREEDOM TO EXCHANGE INFORMATION!
>>>
>>>We the monitored have decided to stand up against the very real, very
>>>intrusive, and ultimately oppressive global surveillance system known as
>>>Echelon. Echelon is a vast mainframe set up by the New World Disorder in
>>>order to monitor the world's electronic communications for subversive
>>>keywords. Every time you send someone an email w ith keywords like
>>>"revolution" and "hacktivism" [for instance], Echelon's computers make a
>>>note of it. If you forward emails with regularity with words on Echelon's
>>>extensive keyword list, you may be marked for human "hands-on" monitoring.

<snip>

Unfortunately, Echelon is not a hoax. See, for instance,

http://www.icdc.com/~paulwolf/echelon.htm

It includes links to more or less reputable news sources. Apparently Echelon is used primarily for corporate espionage, and is exclusively based in Europe. Many Important and Wealthy people are getting pissed off, which should count for something.

Echelon is an NSA operation. Doesn't the STRATFOR guy predict that the CIA will be put to bed, while the NSA will be the next big thing?

-david