Of gods and vampires: an introduction to psychoanalysis

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 5 07:52:57 PDT 1999

At 11:55 PM 10/4/99 -0400, kelley wrote:
>numero uno kenster:: habermas uses the performative contradiction argument
>as a way to *ground* social theory. you know the spiel on that one so i
>won't elaborate the specifics. i will just focus on the broad contours for
>others' who are reading: if you object to the claim that the ideal speech
>situation is implicit in everyday speech (that is, we gauge what are people
>say according to the ideals of truth telling, seriousness, etc etc [ideals
>which don't exist, but which are, nonetheless, invoked as a way to judge
>our own and others claims) then you are, in fact, invoking the ideal speech
>situation.

kelley, cupcake, my heart belongs to you but what is the point of all that verbosity other than promoting the works of obscure prose and bad writing? It's really too deep for me. Can you translate in the best tradition of _Sociological Imagination_?

I also worry that lit-crit is doomed like capitalism, by the law of declining ratios of ideas to words.

smooches

wojtek (aka eurocentric, racist, conservative, pseudo-marxist, positivist, no-respect-for-celebrities-intellectual-or-otherwise chauvinist)