soliciting

kelley oudies at flash.net
Tue Oct 5 09:00:07 PDT 1999

hey lovelies,

as i mentioned, i've been building a web page so i was hoping for some comments about what we've developed so far.

obvisouly, the site isn't finished nor is the list exactly up and running just yet. in any event, i'd like to know what folks think about design, layout, color, etc. oh and yes, i know: the graphics are huge but i'm running them through ulead's smart saver pro in the next hour or so. that will cut the K size in half but preserve clarity. so they say. so, for the patient, please hop onto Pulp Culture's Temporary Home at

<http://www.flash.net/~oudies/home.htm> and click around. i should mention that the links page is under heavy construction and the pages for Pulp Readings and the Pulp Zine aren't even supposed to work. speaking of "links" any suggestions are most welcome.

this will, eventually, be a zine so interested folks send submissions of fiction, art, poetry, articles, essays, rants..... it's all completely open ended at the moment. here's a bit of history to give you a sense of where we evolved from, where we're at right now, and where we *might* be going with this.

we started out conceiving of it as a list/zine to explore philosophical readings of popular culture. [ken] but, popular culture isn't competely my thing--more a hobby. and kirsten's specialities are in history, the media and racism, and she's particularly interested in critical analyses of print media. so we wanted to be a bit more focused on traditional media --tv news, newspapers, etc--rather than on pop culture in the form of novels, films, etc. then, of course, of the three of us i'm most interested in social theory/research, marxism, marxish thought, feminist thought and poltical economy

so that still leaves us pretty ill-defined but it does give some sense of what the broad outlines of where this zine might be headed. so, i'm guessing that things like peter's recent book reviews and interviews are what we'd be looking for. baffler type pieces but a bit more complex than that! explorations of theoretical debates. via examinations of recent films

in any event, comments on the web site would be helpful because i've been having a total blast riot making these kewlo graphics with this trialware i downloaded. so, i'm kinda stuck on what i've created and it's extraordinarily hard to be objective. i've sent the pages to some list members who've made helpful, constructive criticisms that haven't wounded my ego too much....

oh and to chuck grimes: i know that you hate graphics heavy pages, but i've been thinking about you and graphics and art for a month now. i don't think you appreciate the extent to which this stuff is addicting if you like color and lighting.... i mean, how can i possibly resist making these three d images and beveling frames in stead of plain old flat ones and so on and so forth. it's eye candy, chuck, and i find it pleasing to look at, even though tedious to download and highly inefficient and, for those busy sites, just plain annoying and distracting. anyway, i can't imagine what the web would be like if it were that dull old once ubiquitous gray. sure would have been functional, but not delightful, not pleasing,

oh just some incoherent thoughts. but i'd be interested in what you have to say about art, web design, efficiency and so forth.