Taste Buds & Biology (was Re: Littleton: it's Adorno's fault)

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 6 03:27:04 PDT 1999

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> > This makes me curious about a general question, though. Are theories
> > of mind always suspect if they lack an historical element?
>
> How about the biology of the brain, as Carrol argued, instead of theories
> of the mind?:
> >This is overtly and crudely religious. The *brain* is ahistorical (at
> >least in the relative short run of the last 100,000 years) The mind
> >doesn't "have" a history, it *is* its history. It is complex of social
> >relations grounded in the physical structure of the brain.
>
> And for the purpose of scientific inquiry into the brain, I think it best
> to dispense with psychoanalysis, especially since psychoanalysis is
> committed to the two-sex, two-gender model (however you deconstruct it or
> nominalize it).

Ok, but we're very far from getting anywhere with the 'scientific inquiry into the brain', at least in the sense of neuroscience. And this happens to be one of the fields where the 'scientific method' of Cartesian reductionism seems to get really bogged down.

And I'm sorry, but Carrol's 'brain vs. mind' dichotomy just doesn't cut it for me - it sounds mechanical.

I know, for instance, that 'simple' phenomena like hunger are a) rooted in biological phenomena like sugar levels (and I know that if I eat a diet that regulates sugar, this regulates hunger) and b) rooted in 'mind' at least to the extent that my mental state (concerns, expectations, etc) regulates whether I feel hungry or not and c) affect my state of mind in that even when a describable feeling of hunger is absent, my mood alters depending on my level of nourishment.

So where is hunger? In brain, or in mind? When I look at some non-food object, and my mind makes a link with food, what is going on in my mind - what associations, what links between pleasures and sources of pleasure are going on?

Freud might have got it all wrong (I don't know enough about Freud to say, but what I have read isn't 100% encouraging), but a retreat to the biological is not a solution. Or should we retreat from economics because Ricardo wrapped up his expectations in his solutions?

And, to attack another angle on this, Skinnerian 'behaviorology' smacks of systems theory to me - an attempt to codify the inputs and the outputs, and the relations between the two, with little respect for that which remains absent, that which is outside your system.

The dichotomy 'historical vs. ahistorical' in this debate also troubles me. People are neither ahistorical clones of mythical types, nor are they constantly erased by history. Maybe a psychology which understands us in this sense doesn't exist - but surely that is an argument for the development of such a subject-science?

Peter -- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower. - Karl Marx

NOTE: I do not speak for the HGMP or the MRC.