Chechnya: response to Russian invasion?

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 6 03:40:19 PDT 1999

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999 jmage at panix.com wrote:

> those wishing to take sides as among chechen nationalist politicians and
> the crew more or less in charge of this russian government are attempting
> the impossible, since until there is some clear proof to the contrary, the
> most reasonable and likely hypothesis (apparently supported concretely by
> tapes of berezovsky telephone conversations with chechen nationalists) is
> that they are in collusion. collusion both as to the "islamist" invasions
> of dagestan & the bombings of apartment houses in russia. since it is most
> likely a single conspiracy, as soon as you take sides with one group of
> conspirators you have taken sides with - not against - the other.

Not to say anything in particular about you, John, but I find it rather interesting that the immediate response has been to try and pick sides. What ever happened to working to "bring to the front the common interests of the entire proletariat, independently of all nationality." [the CM, in case anyone didn't notice]

I personally don't give a fig whether Chechnyans live within the Russian state, some independant Chechnyan state, or on Mars. That's not the starting point of my analysis. What I was trying to get a handle on is whether anyone knew of any movement outside of the axis of Russian troops vs. Chechnyan rebel troops, particularly since the pending invasion is merely going to strengthen that axis.

Peter -- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower. - Karl Marx

NOTE: I do not speak for the HGMP or the MRC.