debating libertarians

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Wed Oct 6 07:45:56 PDT 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> > Has anyone on the list debated libertarians? What kinds of arguments
> > should we expect to encounter from the other participants? What kinds of
> > arguments do libertarians have problems with. Any references to studies
> > articles or books would be helpful. Especially regarding privatization
> > or government intervention vs libertarian style free markets. I also
>
> My best short, quick answer is there are two basic vulnerabilities:

I would add another one. Emphasize that property rights and enforcement of contracts and financial claims are nothing more than social constructs. There is nothing "natural" about them. Animals have no concept of them; every time my wimp of a dog takes a toy to the park, it (the toy) ends up going home with a bigger dog. The libertarians' position that these social constructs must be enforced by the state, but all others, such as minimum wage or social security, must not, regardless of the democratically expressed will of the people, is essentially authoritarian and quasi-fascist. And given that every libertarian I've ever met was at least upper middle class, a self-serving one; the state shouldn't do anything, except for those things from which I personally benefit.