debating libertarians

kayak3 kayak3 at bouldernews.infi.net
Wed Oct 6 07:56:55 PDT 1999

Michael Perelman wrote:

> All you have to do is to offer to put a toxic waste dump next door to their
> house and they will scream for government help.
>
> There are virtually no real libertarians in our world.
>
> --
>
> Michael Perelman
> Economics Department
> California State University
> michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
> Chico, CA 95929
> 530-898-5321
> fax 530-898-5901

Used the toxic waste argument with l's. Come back saying that this is the only instance where the government has legit authority to intervene to protect the property rights of the victims next door to the waste. To which I reply that the victim who is wealthy will have more of chance to get a fair shake than the victim who is poor. Basically, there is very little fairness in a justice system where the distribution of wealth is so polarized. I'd seen first hand how poor families are treated when child dies in their household. They are treated like homocide suspects the moment they enter the emergency room. Compare this with the way the Ramseys in Boulder were treated.

Brad Hatch