Krugman on Sweden

kayak3 kayak3 at bouldernews.infi.net
Wed Oct 6 08:10:40 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [Unfortunately this isn't on Fortune's website, nor is it on
> Krugman's. But that's what scanners are for!]
>
> Fortune - October 25, 1999
>
> Economics: The Vindication Of Scandinomics?
> WHO KNEW? THE SWEDISH MODEL IS WORKING
>
> By Paul Krugman
>
> Until recently, when people asked me what kind of a society I wanted
> to see, I had a stock answer: "Sweden in the summer of 1980." Why
> Sweden? Because I am a soggy liberal, and Sweden has traditionally
> been the exemplar of what used to be called the ,'middle way," a
> market economy with the rough edges smoothed by generous government
> programs. Why summer? Because Stockholm, arguably the world's most
> beautiful city on a sunny day in June, has precious little daylight
> in winter, And why 1980? Because by the early '90s the Swedish model
> was failing apart. The one time model society had contracted
> Eurosclerosis, with sagging growth and an unemployment rate of more
> than 8%. And the Swedish welfare state seemed to be going broke: In
> 1993 the budget deficit reached an absurd 12% of GDP.
>
> The collapse of the Swedish model brought joy to conservatives. As a
> 1991 Cato Institute report gleefully declared, "Sweden seemed to
> present an intellectual challenge to those who argued that high tax
> rates and extensive state intervention would hamper economic
> growth.... Few would now consider the Swedish system worthy of
> emulation."
>
> But have they looked at Sweden lately? On a recent visit to
> Stockholm, I was stunned as usual by the city's beauty but also
> startled by the unmistakable buzz of prosperity, First impressions
> are confirmed by the statistics: Since 1993 the economy has grown
> vigorously; most predictions are for growth of almost 4% this year.
> Unemployment has fallen steadily, with many predicting that it will
> drop below 5% next year-an achievement even more impressive given
> very high labor force participation rates (in Sweden, as in the U.S.,
> about three-fourths of working-age adults are employed, compared with
> less than two-thirds in Continental Europe). And the budget is in
> surplus.
>
> How did the Swedes manage this turnaround? Did they Reaganize their
> economy, adopting an American-style regime of low taxes and
> winner-take-all markets? In a word, nej. Oh, Sweden has scaled back
> its welfare state a bit and eliminated some of the truly crazy
> disincentives in the tax system (supposedly there used to be cases in
> which marginal rates really were in excess of 100%). But last year
> Sweden collected an awesome 63% of GDP in taxes. The Swedish welfare
> state remains extremely generous, its safety net remarkably far above
> the ground. If you believe the people who think that America's
> comparatively trivial tax burden a mere 34% of GDP! - is an
> oppressive drag on the economy, you would expect to see the Swedish
> economy imploding instead of booming. (For another European
> [...]

I was in Stockholm in August. It definetly was one of the most beautiful cities on our tour and it certainly did appear to be properous. One question. Our travel guide noted that in 1980 the Swedish workers compensation was the 3rd highest in the world and that it had dropped to about 13th by the mid-90's. Does anyone know if this has changed the last few years?

Brad Hatch