josh glenn (of _hermenaut_) on jedediah purdy

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Wed Oct 6 20:40:35 PDT 1999

> Though
> Purdy has been praised by the cultural conservatives at Time for
> "panicking the languid sophisticates" -- which is to say that he's now
> been both honored and scorned as an avatar of the "pundit-invented
> trend away from sarcasm and toward deep sincerity," as Suck(!)
accurately
> put it -- the tsunami of commentary about him is itself ironic, for
> Purdy is not anti-irony at all.

This boggles the mind. Suck taken seriously in a serious piece. Isn't this the second of the seven signs of the apocalypse? (the first being Hitchens on the best-seller lists)

> Purdy champions
> precisely this type of irony (he calls it "ecstatic irony"), which is
> neither frivolous, aestheticized, nor apolitical, and which helps us
> pay more attention to the seemingly trivial details of daily life to
> which his book's title also refers.

Nathan Newman has said Jed has an "aestheticized" view of politics. What does this mean exactly? I'm jumping on the bandwagon and have been given the green light to write a piece on Jed (not the weird media spasm). Anyone have any more good ideas which I can pawn off as my own? Thanks to t byfield for the Feed piece.

Shit, does this mean I have to read the book?

The reason some folks don't vote is not apathy but a sort of rational person/marginal utility mentality, as Charles Brown has said. I wonder how Jed argues against the theory whereby everyone working for their own self-interest benefits society as a whole.

Anyone see the Seinfeld episode where Elaine's dating the sour commie? And Kramer gets himself and his dwarf friend fired from their Santa Claus/elf gig at the mall because he gets caught up in the guy's propaganda?