Call to renationalize UK rail service

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 07:19:03 PDT 1999

[The following is a "Feedback" submission in today's Telegraph concerning Britain's worst rail accident in over 40 years. I certainly hope it is indicative of a wider change in public sentiment.]

From: A A Pike, London apike at wandsworth.gov.uk Re: Blame goes right down the line Date: 7 October 1999

SIR - As the horrific toll of yesterday's crash becomes more evident and as shock turns to anger, I think any enquiry should look at the way the railway industry is now set up and whether it will ever be possible, under the current system, to establish where the responsibility lies [80 bodies may still be trapped in wreckage, 6 October 1999].

Prior to privatisation there was one rail company and therefore one person ultimately responsible. It wouldn't matter if it was partly driver error, partly signalling faults or a lack of track maintenance. Ultimately it would be the fault of the British Railways Board.

In this instance, however, Railtrack are responsible for lines and signalling, Great Western responsible for the express and the operator responsible for the local train involved. No doubt these three companies will express concern and willingness to co-operate with any enquiry, but they will also ensure that the buck does not stop with them.

When the railways and the mines were originally nationalised it was to ensure a common safety standard was applicable across the industry. Since piecemeal privatisation this common goal has been replaced by profit margins, investors' dividends, etc.

The railways should be taken back 100 per cent into public ownership and then funded accordingly. Reliance on the same people to satisfy safety requirements as well as issue a dividend every year simply does not guarantee the safety of passengers.

I never thought I would hanker for nationalisation - but in certain key industries it is the only way.

[end]

Carl