AFL-CIO restructuring

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Thu Oct 7 08:52:10 PDT 1999

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Nathan Newman wrote:

> Just look at the GOP attempting to take another wack at the
> Earned Income Tax Credit this week to be reminded of the
> differences.

And look at who was yelling loudly about it, Dubya. Using language like "balancing the budgets on the backs of the poor". Hmm. As I said some months ago we are going to go from having one conservative Christian Southern governor as prez to another.

As I've written here before, recently in Texas we had a change of AG's. The previous, putatively Democratic one did everything he could to assist in the dismantling od AA and did nothing to fight Hopwood. The new Republican has reversed the previous finding that AA in financial aid was illegal.

> Now, people don't have to agree that the differences are
> important enough to divert resources into Democratic
> campaigns from other organizing struggles - an always
> reasonable argument - but it is just intellectual
> condensension to act like the AFL-CIO, environmental groups,
> abortion rights groups and civil rights group are just too
> stupid to recognize the essential similarity of the parties.

Does all that straw keep you warm in those cold New Haven winters? I did see anybody here saying that.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com