AFL-CIO restructuring

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 7 16:04:00 PDT 1999

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Nathan Newman wrote:
>
> > This is the problem with the impulse to bash mushy centrism. Its so much
> > fun that discussions of the nuts of bolts of organizing get dropped.
>
> But organizing for *whom*? For what sort of agenda?

Political splits can come from the wildest directions. Thirty-One years ago I was sitting in the living room of some friends with whom I had engaged in political work for several years. One of them mentioned that a certain mutual acquaintance was "doing some wonderful organizing in west Bloomington." Almost casually and without really thinking about it I asked, "Organizing for what?" Both of them simply exploded into a tirade. And sure enough, within a couple of months it became impossible to work with them. For example they refused to have anything to do with protesting political repression of the Panthers. (And within two years they had dropped out of all political work, even of the most liberal kind.)

Carrol