Ward Connerly question

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat Oct 9 07:40:12 PDT 1999

> Connerly has brought his anti-affimrative action campaign to FL, and tonight
> he's speaking at Eckard College (in St. Pete at 6:30pm, for those who are
> here and interested). I'm covering the talk for our community radio station
> (WMNF) and I'm supposed to be (at least trying to) interview Connerly. Can
> someone please remind me what kind of business Connerly owns? I could also
> use some more info on what affirmative action programs his business
> benefitted from.
> Frances

below won't be of much help for last nite but...

Connerly has owned land-planning/housing development management & consulting firm in California since mid-70s. He denies having benefitted from designation as 'minority business' owner although he claims that certain gov't rules & regulations have 'forced' him to identify his firm as such in certain instances.

In any event, WC has benefitted more from close relationship with Pete Wilson than from affirmative action. PW was California state legislator in early 70s when he selected Connerly (working for state's housing and community development agency at time) to be chief adviser to housing commitee that former chaired. Latter, who made transition from early college student active against housing discrimination to Goldwater Republican in 64, then used contacts he made working for Wilson to open & build his business. Michael Hoover